Saturday, January 24, 2015

Okay, that was scary but easy.

So, I just dipped my foot into the the world of screencasting.

For my master's program, I had to create a lesson for my students where they had to apply something they learned and create something using an online tool.

I find it is sometimes hard to come up with "real-world application" style projects in English Language Arts.  If I had my students going around and correcting people's grammar, they would probably land in hot water.  So, what I did come up with (and will do if I have time at the end of the year) was a project where the students become the teacher.  They pick a topic or skill we learned during the year, do a little extra research on it, create a lesson that includes an online component, and teach it to their classmates.

One of the required components of my assignment was to create a "student" example using an online tool I'd never used before.  I decided to make a video using Screencast-o-matic on Jane Schaffer's Chunk Paragraphs.  This way, I can actually use the video in class if I need to.

Because I use Chrome for my browser, there was an issue with using the Screencast-o-matic webpage recorder, but there was an option to download a free application to my Mac, which is what I did.  It. Was. So. Easy. 

I could capture any part of my screen, and pause the recording and restart the recording and not have to start all over again from the beginning.


No comments:

Post a Comment