Friday, March 16, 2018

Let the Flogging Commence



Wow!  I just looked at the last time I blogged (August).  I feel horrible.  Then again, I don't.

It's been a really tough year this year.  We changed our school calendar up three weeks.  I may have mentioned that in my most "recent" post.  That has been really hard for both teachers and students.  We've been so ingrained in how things used to go.  We feel like we have more time for things because of where they used to be in the school year.

The English department in the district is, after like 15 years, adopting a new "textbook" (read: curriculum).  We chose StudySync.  If anyone out there has experience with that, shoot me your thoughts.  One of my team members and I worked together and tried both contenders out.  We personally liked StudySync better, but now I'm a little concerned because the district is throwing the baby out with the bathwater and shifting and moving novels and things around to other grade levels because of where they are in the StudySync curriculum.  Without teacher input of course.  This is not a good year to be the department chair.

My 11th graders are probably this least studious I've ever had in my 12-year career.  Everyone seems to be having trouble with them, especially the ELA and Social Studies teachers.

Since February, I've been battling with pneumonia.  I've taken 5 days off (6 including this coming Monday for a CT scan) because of this, not including the time off getting pulled out for meetings and for conferences (CATE and CUE).  This is more than the last 6 years combined.  I've been very lethargic because of this and am WAY WAY WAY behind on grading (instead of just WAY behind).

I'm currently at CUE now.  I'll try and write up about CATE and CUE.  Maybe I can do it Monday after or before my CT.

If you are in the OC area, there is a #MarchforOurLives event at Centennial Park in Santa Ana at 2 p.m on March 24th.


No comments:

Post a Comment